imagematernal
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Advanced search

22744 Posts in 6702 Topics- by 17593 Members - Latest Member: permsk

16-09-2019 15:09:19
JOOM::GALLERY::FORUMJoomGallery 2.x ACLBackend / AdministrationJoomGallery category Scalability
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: JoomGallery category Scalability  (Read 3794 times)
giuse

View Profile
« on: 02-11-2011 20:45:14 »

Hi, I am locally testing JoomGallery considering it for a site with a community for showing photos. I see a problem of scalability for categories how they are handled now - a drop down list both in backend and in tree module.
I try to explain: let's suppose a not big site with 2000 registered users. Each of them will have their own master category (automatically created when registered -though this plugin is not yet available for JG 2.0) and I can imagine at least 5 subcategories will be created by the users.
That means that we'll have around 12'000 categories.
So many categories can't be put in a dropdown menu in the backend and would also cause performance problem in the tree module where all the tree is loaded.
Am I missing something or this aspect might be an important improvement to be made?
thanks a lot

Giuse
Chraneco
Developer-Team

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03-11-2011 00:31:44 »

Hi,

indeed, this is a problem we have to focus on. Unfortunately, there aren't any easy solutions at the moment.

There is the same problem for categories of Joomla! articles.

Regards
Chraneco
giuse

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03-11-2011 23:23:17 »

Thanks Chraneco for your quick reply!
I think the problem with Joomla categories is less severe, since the categories for holding articles hardly will be thousands.
Since this is a major problem for a large site, I propose a possible solution: why not having like the selection of author in the backend of Joomla? You click a button, a window opens with first page of users (users are categories for JoomGallery) and you can search for a specific username or navigate in the list, that is a paginated list. The number of category are of the same magnitude of JG categories, so a different approach should be used.
Is it possible?
Thanks

Giuse
Chraneco
Developer-Team

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03-11-2011 23:39:00 »

Hi,

yes, I think this is a good solution for the problem. We will try to implement something like that, but most probably it will take some time.

Regards
Chraneco
altromass

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09-11-2011 00:38:24 »

Thanks a lot for quickly replaying to my post (http://www.forum.en.joomgallery.net/index.php?topic=4783.0).

I'm not a programmer and probably I'm talking nonsense... I was thinking if it would be possible to do some hacking and use the treeview module to select the category or subcategory.

Thanks again for your time.
Mass
Ansolon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09-01-2012 19:48:33 »

Just migrated from 1.5 to 1.7

In 1.5 the category selection made with Alphabetically, while adding new category

However now it seems it is ordered by id and it is impossible to find a main category and add new categories when you have 3200 different cat please look at the attached image.

Is there a solution to make it order by Name instead of id ..

dave_logic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11-01-2012 18:18:59 »

Hi,

yes, I think this is a good solution for the problem. We will try to implement something like that, but most probably it will take some time.

Regards
Chraneco

Content Tagging would be the best option surely ?

D
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

HOSTED BY SCHWARZKÜNSTLER ®

PROTECTED BY  ZB BLOCK  AND Project Honey Pot
Theme orange-lt created by panic

Bad Behavior has blocked 10931 access attempts in the last 7 days.