Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Advanced search

22620 Posts in 6669 Topics- by 17596 Members - Latest Member: permsk

20-09-2018 03:58:38
JOOM::GALLERY::FORUMArchiveJoomGallery 1.5 MVC - ExtensionsAddonsShopping Cart
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Shopping Cart  (Read 7817 times)
macallf

View Profile
« on: 01-10-2012 12:01:59 »

OK, where do I start!

I have started work on a simple shopping cart system that will work with JoomGallery 1.5 and I thought I would share my concept

• MVC structure
  • Payapl
  • Extendable

A short list of goals, I know, but I don't want or need anything more. I used to be on the development team of VirtueMart so I have knowledge of cart systems. Virtuemart, for me, would be too complex. I have all the images in Joomgalley, I don't want to then create products based on every image and then create all the options for sales for each image.
1. You are duplicating every image
2. You are creating more work for yourself.

My concept, it's still in the planning stage, is to use a component and plugins that will allow a cart button on an article, a gallery category or detail page. I did think about Simple Caddy, but that would not have been powerful enough for my use.

So the idea is to have a backend where you can enable or disable the cart on categories or articles, have a plugin system where you could have a plugin for joom gallery which would allow the same thing, enable/disable for certain categories/images. Able to set a default product list for the whole component and also have over-rides on individual categories/articles/images etc.

• Extendable by plugins
  • Default product list by component (Plugin)
  • Enable/disable component by category/article
  • Enable/disable component by plugin category/article

The beauty of it is that should allow for a cart system for just about any component, with a suitable plugin, with full control of products for that component.

e.g. I need to sell prints of different sizes and finishes. I would create a product group of photographs and create product descriptions and prices for each size and a selection for finish. The default for joomgallery would that be that product group. A simple {shopping cart} tag would be added to the joomgallery template. This would then create a button for the cart on every image with all the options being displayed. For certain Albums, I could turn off the cart or remove certain options etc

So although being simple and easy to maintain, it is also very controllable, being based on an extendable format, a plugin for every version of Joomgallery or any component could be implemented. There will, at present, be no options for alternative payment methods or specific shipping methods. It's not virtuemart/redcart/opencart it's meant to be simple but controllable.

So that's my plan, if anyone has suggestions, comments etc please feel free to voice them. This is obviously not going to happen overnight but I thought I would put it out there.

As I said, I was on the virtuemart development team. I was responsible for the childlist mod that allowed multiple subsets of a product to be bought at the same time from one page, I also developed low stock display, lightbox and more images and several others.
macallf

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 05-10-2012 18:03:30 »

I thought I would update you, have started working on the backend.

I have the basic Front end sorted (pic1), plugin installer working using the standard joomla installer (pic2) (these are not joomla plugins but xtndacart plugins), categories and item backend management working for articles pics3&4.

So that leaves product management, order management and config management, create paypal interface and shipping options and then start to work on the fronted.
Chraneco
Developer-Team

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05-10-2012 19:13:10 »

Hi,

these things sound great! Thank you very much.

But before you invest too much time I want to inform you that Joomla! 1.5 has already reached its end of life, so there are no more updates from the Joomla! development team. Because of that we are stopping support of JoomGallery 1.5 also soon.
Maybe it would be better to do the work for JoomGallery 2.x?

Also I want to bring your attention to this new plugin: JoomMarketLink. Maybe its code can help you.

Regards
Chraneco
macallf

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05-10-2012 19:23:37 »

I thought about that, but at the moment I have absolutely no need to upgrade and this is ultimately for my use!!! (I think many are in that position)

Once I have it working, I'll install the latest versions and adapt it so that it conforms ;) (I have so many mods within joomgallery and other components that it's just too time consuming to upgrade)

But thanks.
macallf

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09-10-2012 19:07:56 »

Well, I thought about it again lol!

Makes more sense to update to 2.5 and write the component for 2.5. So, I have spent the last 5 days upgrading my site!!!

Amazing how much work has to be done to make everything look and act as it did, rewriting the template and all the overrides. Finding the equivalent 2.5 plugins, modules and components. In the end no one will even notice the difference!

I'm nearly there, just got to make my modifications to joomgallery! I'll make them available if any one wants them (automatically populate metadata desc and keywords from exif data during upload, admin buttons to populate the same data from existing files. Search bot that will also search on the meta fields to take account of the previous two mods!)

So bare with me and i'll get to converting the development to 2.5  Wink
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

HOSTED BY SCHWARZKÜNSTLER ®

PROTECTED BY  ZB BLOCK  AND Project Honey Pot
Theme orange-lt created by panic

Bad Behavior has blocked 1117 access attempts in the last 7 days.