maternal
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Advanced search

22750 Posts in 6706 Topics- by 17591 Members - Latest Member: permsk

03-06-2020 15:03:25
JOOM::GALLERY::FORUMJoomGallery 3.x JUXUploadsDrag n Drop Cannot Manage Titles
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Drag n Drop Cannot Manage Titles  (Read 7314 times)
Joshua

Ready for Adventure

View Profile
« on: 28-03-2013 21:34:39 »

Right now when I use the drag and drop feature I can only add one title for all the images selected/uploading. I figure this is not an error. But it would be really awesome if you could manage each picture title just like Facebook. Right now one would have to manually go back and edit every single title which is a inconvenience when dealing with lots of pictures.

This would certainly be a time saver if this was added. This way I could drag in photos with titles of "Tree, Mountain, Water" rather than titling it "Nature" and renaming all three images one by one.

Edit: Those who want this feature, vote for it on UserVoice as seen here.
« Last Edit: 30-03-2013 04:07:21 by Joshua » Logged
Erftralle

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28-03-2013 23:22:20 »

Hi,

since I have no Facebook account (and I don't want to have one), I do not know how uploads are managed there.

Did you try out the following upload procedure:

1. Drag the first image into the list.
2. Type in the title and other information needed.
3. Upload the image.
4. Drag the next image into the list.
5. Change the title.
6. Upload the image.

and so on.

Maybe not as convenient as Facebook but there would be no need to change images afterwards Wink .

Regards
Erftralle
Joshua

Ready for Adventure

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29-03-2013 04:49:00 »

I might be able to think of a Joomla gallery extension that does this as well (it's been a while since I've seen this). Yes, your method will probably work. But it ends up taking more time.

Part of the beauty of drag n drop is that you can drag in multiple images at once. Certainly a great feature (which already exists in Joomgallery). But the problem is that now all the images will get the same title. So you have only one of two options:

1. Upload one by one as you suggested.
2. Upload them all and manually change the titles.

It doesn't have to be this way. I'm telling you that the method I'm describing makes it much easier for frontend and backend users to upload multiple pictures. Single one by one uploading discourages people from uploading. Bad titles is bad SEO and lowers the quality of the upload (if people get lazy and have a dozen pics with the same name). I've personally talked with people who hate uploading one by one.
Joshua

Ready for Adventure

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29-03-2013 06:29:13 »

I'm willing to make you a test dummy facebook account if your willing to participate just to show how the upload system works. I'm not asking for it to be as good as facebook's. But I admit Facebook's is by far the most superior photo uploading system I have ever seen. I've tried many photo uploading systems in my time which non of them came close.  Wink

Have you tried Panoramio's? There's is very similar to what I'm talking about in my above post. They are a very well known photo site by Google.
Erftralle

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29-03-2013 21:45:22 »

Thanks for your offer to create a test dummy facebook account but in my opinion we should concentrate on becoming the JoomGallery 3.0 JUX stable as soon as possible for the moment. There is a lot of testing to be done. Maybe you can help us with that and if you think you found a bug, please post it here.

I don't doubt that billion dollar companies like Facebook and Google offer more efficient upload possibilities, but I think JoomGallery is not so bad as well. If you like you could add your suggestion here, so it will not be forgotten.
Perhaps it is possible to add an upcoming popup box directly before each image upload in order to type in a new image title. I'm not sure if the third party script Fineuploader we are using offers such a possibility. This needs further investigation. 
Joshua

Ready for Adventure

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30-03-2013 04:05:19 »

Agreed we want a stable Joomgallery 3.0. I've been lucky in the past and been able to get ideas into extensions when in beta testing.  Wink I plan on doing more testing with Joomgallery 3 and will let you folks know if I encounter any issues.

I posted the Manage Title idea in UserVoice. Joomgallery is not bad at all, the new drag n drop uploader is a great step in the direction Joomgallery needs. I am quite thankful myself for this addition.

Regarding the popup box, neat idea. But we need for folks to be able to title all the images before any of the images are uploaded. Why? Because then the user can do other things while the images are uploading. I could look into examples of this "upload management" or contact the FileUploader folks.

Another advantage to uploading multiple images at once as opposed to one by one is that image selection takes time. So with the current system one has to scroll through their images again to find the one they want. But with multi select using the ctrl key this can be avoided.
Joshua

Ready for Adventure

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23-06-2013 15:15:36 »

Good news! I made a request on stackoverflow for managing titles. As of yesterday they released Fine Uploader 3.7 as seen in this post:

http://blog.fineuploader.com/2013/06/37-edit-override-file-names.html

This might be the key for managing multiple image titles. Any chance of the latest version of Fine Uploader be implimented into Joomgallery?
Erftralle

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24-06-2013 16:54:25 »

Thank you for your request.

I did not dive too deeply into that subject yet but the new feature makes it possible to change the file name, not the image title.
However it might be possible to use this feature in a not intended way for the titles, further investigation is needed.
But there are not many votes on your 'Manage title idea' yet.

Any chance of the latest version of Fine Uploader be implimented into Joomgallery?

There is always a chance Wink .
rnicholus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28-06-2013 17:19:18 »

Hello.  I'm the primary maintainer of Fine Uploader.  Note that 3.7 is not yet released, but should be released in early July. 

I'm curious how Joom determines the image title in the context of Fine Uploader currently. 
Erftralle

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28-06-2013 20:17:28 »

Hi rnicholus,

first of all I'd like to thank you and your team for the good work on Fine Uploader.

Since there were many changes on your web site (which I didn't study in detail yet) I'm a little bit afraid whether it is possible to use Fine Uploader with it's current license model in future releases of JoomGallery.
The version 3.4.1 of Fine Uploader (licensed under GNU GPL v3) which is currently used in JoomGallery 3.1 BETA has been available for download on your site without providing additional data for the use in Open Source Projects like ours.
Unfortunately I did not find this link any more.

I'm curious how Joom determines the image title in the context of Fine Uploader currently.

Currently we use FineUploader.setParams() to store additional fields like the image title before triggering FineUploader.uploadStoredFiles().
This means, that all images of one submission get the same title (optional followed by a counter). So either the user triggers the submission image by image changing the title in between or does it later on in another view after the upload process has been done.
For more details please have a look at the source code file components/com_joomgallery/views/upload/tmpl/default_ajax.php. You can download JoomGallery here.

Regards
Erftralle
rnicholus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30-06-2013 19:27:27 »

Erftralle,

Fine Uploader continues to be GPL v3 licensed, by default.  A commercial license option is available for those who want to be released from the limitations of the GPL v3 license.  In your case, GPL v3 seems appropriate.  We have been reorganizing the site and documentation, and more dramatic restructuring/reorganization is underway in the develop branch of the Github project as well.  There are no plans to do away with the GPL v3 license.  You can read more about Fine Uploader's licensing model, along with build instructions for GPL users in the open-source developer's documentation page in the project's Github repo (https://github.com/Widen/fine-uploader/blob/master/docs/gpl-devs.md).  Please note that, once 3.7 releases, all documentation will effectively be moved to docs.fineuploader.com, so the link I just provided will be broken.  By moving the docs to a domain we control, we hope to prevent breaking links when we reorganize the documentation in the future.  We are also moving out build tool from Gradle to Grunt.

Note that, with the edit filename feature, the "new" or "edited" filename is simply sent along with the request as a "qqfilename" parameter.  Perhaps this fits nicely into your current workflow.  The original plan was to simply override the name parameter associated with the file's multipart boundary Content-Disposition header, but the ability to do that is limited to Chrome and IE10.  So, for now, sending the new name in a request parameter seems to be the best way to handle this.  Please let me know if you have any questions regarding this new feature in the context of your library. 
Erftralle

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01-07-2013 23:35:57 »

Hi rnicholus,

thanks for the information and notes. I'm glad to hear that Fine Uploader is still and will be available under the GNU GPL v3 license.

Once Fine Uploader 3.7 releases I will have a closer look at the new feature and check whether it could be used as solution for Joshuas proposals. If I have any questions I will gladly come back to you.

Regards
Erftralle 
rnicholus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02-07-2013 21:08:31 »

Sounds good.  If you have any requests for new features/enhacements, or run into any issues, please see the support page on fineuploader.com for instructions on opening up a ticket.
Joshua

Ready for Adventure

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14-07-2013 03:27:18 »

It appears Fine Uploader 3.7 is released (according to the frontpage). Grin This is exciting news.

I decided to make a quick little video showing what would be ideal for image uploading: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z684WiJ79Vw
As you can see, it is very fast and super easy to manage. Joomgallery is already close to accomplishing this.

I noticed the Java Uploader of Joomgallery shows the picture before it even uploads onto the site which is quite convenient. This allows the user uploading pictures to know exactly what they are titling before ever uploading. My point for bringing this up is so that we we don't end up with seeing purely titles like P1030686.jpg. The user isn't going to remember the exact name as the photo that they are uploading. I take thousands of pictures, and so do my friends.  Wink

So either the user needs to be able to see the images before they upload them, or they need to be able to manage the titles right after the upload. Or manage the picture title after each image uploads (if picture A finishes, you could title picture A while picture B was uploading). I attached a screen show showing the current situation on how it could be confusing without thumbnails.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

HOSTED BY SCHWARZKÜNSTLER ®

PROTECTED BY  ZB BLOCK  AND Project Honey Pot
Theme orange-lt created by panic

Bad Behavior has blocked 2097 access attempts in the last 7 days.