maternal
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Advanced search

22674 Posts in 6680 Topics- by 17596 Members - Latest Member: permsk

18-12-2018 17:16:37
JOOM::GALLERY::FORUMJoomGallery 3.x JUXBackend / AdministrationHow to Losslessly Compress Images for PageSpeed
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to Losslessly Compress Images for PageSpeed  (Read 58 times)
jmarvin

View Profile
« on: 28-11-2018 22:24:19 »

I would like a better score on PageSpeed. It wants the images to be "losslessly" compressed.

1. One suggestion I found was to set the quality to 100% and that would be lossless, but that did not work.

2. Another suggestion was to make the files "interlaced." I added an entry to administrator/components/com_joomgallery/helpers/file.php but that didn't resolve the issue either.

imageinterlace($dst_img, true);

3. I found this suggestion as well...

Several tools are available that perform further, lossless compression on JPEG and PNG files, with no effect on image quality. For JPEG, we recommend jpegtran or jpegoptim (available on Linux only; run with the --strip-all option). For PNG, we recommend OptiPNG or PNGOUT.

Are these viable options?

How would they be integrated with JoomGallery?

Is there any way to "losslessly compress" the images using GD, GD2, or ImageMagick?

MrMusic
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07-12-2018 12:59:23 »

Hi,

to 2:
That should work already. If you use GD2 as image processor, you should use
Code:
imageinterlace($dst_img, true);
the thumbnail and the detail image are stored interlaced.

to 3:
Tools like jpegtran or jpegoptim are external libraries that are not installed on most servers. I myself do not know any possibility to integrate external tools like jpegtran or jpegoptim.
Which is of course always possible: download the images, edit them with the respective tool and then upload again.

to 1. and "is there any way to "losslessly compress" the images using GD, GD2, or ImageMagick?"
JPEG is inherently a lossy format. Compression with this image tools normally installed on the servers, such as GD2 and imagemagick, always results in quality losses.

Regards
MrMusic
Is your Problem solved? Please mark it as solved
Demo-Shop for JoomGallery Images
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

HOSTED BY SCHWARZKÜNSTLER ®

PROTECTED BY  ZB BLOCK  AND Project Honey Pot
Theme orange-lt created by panic

Bad Behavior has blocked 658 access attempts in the last 7 days.

maternal